Thursday, September 16, 2010

Flaky adobo penne rigate integrale

Once in a while, we should use our imagination when we have some basic ingredients right in front of us.
I did my usual adobo dish and chanced on the organic 'whole wheat penne rigate' pack that I always planned on using so I can start my "start avoiding rice" diet (as if the switch was going to make a lot of difference at the moment as the adobo was still the calories bearer).
Anyway, I boiled the penne rigate and while waiting for the pasta to boil, I recalled (my friend) Ted's way of eating adobo - FLAKY with rice!!
So I shredded some pork adobo meat, and 0n another pan, fried the adobo flakes to make them crisp. Now just as the pasta was "almost aldente", I drained it and poured adobo sauce on the rigate; let the savory sauce sip in the noodles (notice the darker shade of the pasta) and re-drain. Careful not to let the pasta overcook.
I chose to make a creamy sauce using light mayonnaise - and again, pour a small amount of adobo sauce, add pepper and half a teaspoon of sugar (to reduce the sour taste of the mayo and adobo sauce).
So granting that the whole wheat penne rigate has less sugar than rice - this is a good substitute and another way of eating adobo. This could also rouse the curiosity of the family, looking at the meal as if it was a new recipe instead of saying "adobo nanaman!?"
Thank you Ted, for your idea contribution !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment